Most of us wish we’d read more classic books in our lives. Some of us still gamely plan to; who doesn’t aspire to improve their score on 100 Books To Read Before You Die? If you’re anything like me, you might even have blithely convinced yourself you have read x, or y, or z, until a flash of scenic clarity advises you that you’re thinking not of the book but of the BBC mini series / Disney adaptation / Clueless. And whichever way you look at it, that just doesn’t count.
(I honestly have read Emma. Promise.)
I opened this little gem on Christmas Day 2011. A hundred classic book jackets, each printed on nifty little postcards. Iconic designs that made me feel highbrow without so much as a sniff of an endpaper. Never mind two hundred of them.
A hundred postcards: that's an awful lot of stamps
It quickly became clear I would never find time or (shamefully) inclination to read all the books featured in Postcards from Penguin. Let’s be frank: I would probably never even find enough friends to send them all to.
And that’s where you come in, dear reader.
So here’s what to do:
- Fill in your details here.
- You’ll receive an envelope, inside which will be a postcard and a return address. A pretty Penguin book jacket will feature on your postcard.
- Buy and read your book. Ponder, learn, love or hate. Keep it forever, pass it on, donate it to Oxfam.
- Write a review on the postcard. Five words or 500, positive or negative. Serious or silly.
- Post back the postcard.
- Keep an eye out for your review right here.
Oh, and spread the word! All the sharing buttons you could ever wish for are below – please pass on the word and keep the momentum going. And join up to our shiny new Facebook page to follow our progress and keep up to date with the reviews submitted.
So jump on board. Happy reading and happy reviewing!